Volleyball WA would like to update the community on new measures announced by the Prime Minister in regards to indoor sport venue closures.
The Prime Minister announced on Sunday (22 March 2020) that the government has agreed to implement, through state and territory laws, new restrictions on social gatherings. As of midday local time (23 March 2020) Gyms and indoor sporting venues, among other facilities, will be restricted from opening and will be reviewed on a monthly basis.
Based on these new measures, this means all indoor volleyball activities are cancelled and all Indoor (hard-court) and Indoor Beach centres are now closed until further notice.
While some may find this news upsetting, Volleyball WA is committed to ensuring the health of our community. We will continue to find ways to support our stakeholders and are working on new ways for our community to maintain their connection to volleyball.
At this stage, and in full compliance with national and state government health guidelines, outdoor volleyball activities are still available and we would encourage our affiliates to consider some of the following:
- Outdoor kits, both adult and kids, are available for hire. Affiliates can access the kits at a discounted price and can be set up on any grassed area.
- Volleyball WA beach courts in West Perth and Cockburn are still available for hire. Please contact Volleyball WA on 08 9228 8522 to secure your court.
- Please note that the organisation will be implementing social distancing measures at both venues for people booking.
- Permanent poles can be found at City Beach. The beach is free to play on and has a first come first serve policy. These poles can also be hired out exclusively via the Town of Cambridge.
- Please note that participants will need to take their own net. Volleyball WA has Discover Volleyball Kits that includes a net and are available for purchase.
- Volleyball WA are working to get the Cottesloe Beach poles up later this week. Volleyball WA will advise the community when they have been put up.
Volleyball WA will continue to review all upcoming events and will release updates over the coming weeks.
Prime Minister Update (22 March 2020): https://www.pm.gov.au/media/update-coronavirus-measures-220320
If you need more information or have a question, please don’t hesitate to contact the Volleyball WA offices on 08 9228 8522 or via email [email protected].